|Date of latest version:||2023-05-08|
|Editors used:||3ds Max, BrawlBox, BrawlCrate, BREFF Editor, CTools, KMP Cloud, Lorenzi's KMP Editor, Paint.NET, Post-Effect Editor, RoadKill, SketchUp, SZS Modifier, Wiimms SZS Tools|
Lost Ruins is a custom track created by JorisMKW. The track takes place in a ruined castle in the middle of a lake which lies deep within the Lost Woods from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. To honor this game, the author paid a lot of attention to details and added several references to the game. For example, on the final lap, the track becomes more red and several Goombas spawn, as there is a blood moon, which in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild causes all monsters which have been defeated to return to flesh. Gameplay wise, this track plays similarly to DS Peach Gardens, as there is a big shortcut at the start of the lap which can be taken with a single Mushroom, and item boxes are scarce.
For people who like to explore, there are 11 references to Korok Seeds hidden in the track, as well as six green, five blue, four red, three purple, two silver, and one golden rupee which have increasing difficulty of hiding spots by rarity of the rupees.
The author wrote a small story with background information about the theme of the track. It takes place in a timeline similarly to The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, where there is a mashup of Zelda and Mario characters. The author used inspiration from the cutscene in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild that plays when the tutorial on the Great Plateau is completed, as well as the book The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion.
- One hundred years ago, ominous omens of Calamity Ganon’s return were observed across the kingdom of Hyrule, which, under King Rhoam’s reign, had been peaceful and thriving for many years prior. There was also a prophecy.. “The signs of the resurrection of Calamity Ganon are clear. And the power to oppose it lies dormant beneath the ground”. King Rhoam decided to heed the prophecy and ordered his men to excavate large areas of land in Hyrule. It wasn’t long before several ancient relics made by the hands of distant ancestors were discovered. These relics, the Divine Beasts and Guardians, were machines designed ten thousand years ago by the Sheikah tribe to seal Ganon during the first Great Calamity. Surprised but pleased with the first findings, the excavations were continued across every part of Hyrule.
- A small group of soldiers and archaeologists was instructed to excavate in the mysterious forest lying in Lake Mekar. This place, better known as the Lost Woods, is filled with eerie trees whose knots and hollowed bark resemble frightening faces. A mysterious, ever-present fog blankets the area, obstructing views, which creates a safe haven for many animals, but a dangerous terrain for travelers, who tend to lose their way. To not get lost, the group laid out a chain of torches along their route, which they could easily follow backwards to leave the woods. After several hours of digging and plowing no ancient relics were found, and the group decided to head back home for the day. However, the howling wind had blown out most of the torches, and finding the right way back home became impossible.
- Days passed, and the group members were slowly going insane. One member suggested that the group walks in a random direction, hoping that it leads to a safe and dry place to stay the night, or even better, the exit. To the relief of the group members, they came across a lake which encloses an old, unknown castle. Determined to reach this castle, the group built a raft of simple materials found in the woods by using some of the excavation tools they carried with them. The abandoned castle, of which not much remained, seemed to have been inhabited long ago by forgotten tribes who worshipped King Boo. Several ancient Guardians and Thwomps were also found in the castle’s remains. The group colonized the ruins, and made it their home until hopefully an expedition team would come look for them. The group members waited and waited, but help never came.
- One day, mischief struck as the second Great Calamity began. Malice of Ganon reactivated the decayed Guardians and Thwomps, which became frenzied and destroyed everything in their surroundings. That day the innocent group members lost their lives, and the lost castle became even more ruined.
- Now, one hundred years later, a hero with the power to seal the darkness is said to have awakened. Determined to avenge the people who did not survive, he is the light that must shine on Hyrule once again.
- Brawlboxgaming, for helping with the blood moon transition and providing a shadow map shader which fixed flickering materials.
- Atlas, for editing the EnvFire object such that the direction in which the particles float is rotated.
- kHacker35000vr, for helping with several small issues related to 3ds Max.
|Version||Date of release||Information|
Custom Track Distributions
This track is part of the following Custom Track Distributions:
- CTGP Revolution v1.03.1142 (v1.1)
- Insane Kart Wii (v1.0)
- ISC's Top 50 Pack (v1.0)
- Mario Kart Midnight (v1.0)
- Mario Kart Wii Deluxe (v1.0)
- OptPack (v1.0)
- Wiimms Mario Kart Fun (Details)
Names in Other Languages
Lava Lake – Desert Fort – Daisy's Palace (remake) – MP9 Snow Go – Autumn Forest – Desert Raceway – Birthday Party – Goomba Cave – Grassland Lake – The Nether – Sunset Rocks
F-Zero Big Blue – Medieval Castlegrounds – Lost Ruins
Koopa Ruins – Hyrule Castle – Autumn Falls – Volcanic Stadium – Grassland Resort – Lunar Path – Night Moo Moo Meadows – Sunset Valley – Wario's Ice Mine – Night Wario's Gold Mine – Blue Castle
Handy's Garden – Christmas Garden – Green Circuit – Grassland Circuit – Night Toad's Factory – Starlight Castle – Midnight Gorge – Snowy Hills – Choco Summit – Night Desert
Night Beach – Snow Beach
YouTube Channel: JorisMKW
Twitch Channel: JorisMKW