|Editors used:||3ds Max, BrawlBox, BREFF Editor, CTools, KMP Cloud, Lorenzi's KMP Editor, Paint.NET, Post-Effect Editor, RoadKill, SketchUp, SZS Modifier, Wiimms SZS Tools|
Lava Lake is a custom track created by JorisMKW. The track takes place on the last habitable parts in a volcanic lake of lava surrounded by a shady wasteland. There are several shortcuts in the track, placed in such a way that if you take one, you can't take several others. JorisMKW created this track with the intention to be easy to follow, fun to drive, and difficult to master. See the next section for details about how he processed this idea into the design of the track.
Some notes on track design
- JorisMKW intentionally added the majority of the offroad cuts to the beginning of the track, like on DS Peach gardens, to prevent really luckbased races from happening.
- The set of item boxes in the volcano is intentionally put behind the two biggest shortcuts in the track, so that if you take any of the two, you miss an item box. If you take the bigger one of these two cuts you even miss another item box later in the track as well as the shroomless Thwomp shortcut.
- The Thwomp in the shroomless shortcut has "spin out" collision on the spiny sides left and right of the thwomp and wall collision on the very bottom part of the Thwomp. JorisMKW tried a lot of different collision types as well as experimenting with the surface of the Thwomp and this seems to be the best solution. Other combinations of collision and surface height resulted in the shortcut being inconsistent by shooting the player in random angles when touching certain parts of the Thwomp.
- JorisMKW put a lot of thought into how the track could be easy to follow for players that play the track for the first time. He added arrows on every turn and made sure that all arrows were visible way before the concerned turn is reached by the player. There have been added yellow ground arrows on the three most 'blind' parts of the track and there is clever item box placement to send the player in the right direction on these blind parts. The road part that falls in the pipe has active lava pillars after it falls to warn players way before they reach this part that there is lava there.
- Sniki for retexturing the Thwomp object, helping with the shadow map and helping with the BREFT edits.
- Sucht93a for helping with the custom falling road part and helping with the lava river collision.
- Riidefi for helping with getting rid of the missing ground arrows problem.
- Shyga for making the Lava Lake text on the billboards.
- Misha for giving gameplay insight related advice during the creation of the track.
- Various CTGP track testers for helping with finding the last couple of bugs.
|Version||Date of release||Information|
|v1.1||2018-05-31|| Update by Huili:
Custom Track Distributions
This track is part of the following Custom Track Distributions:
Names in Other Languages
|French:||Lac de Lave|
|Italian:||Lago di Lava|
|Spanish:||Lago de Lava|
Koopa Ruins – Hyrule Castle – Autumn Falls – Volcanic Stadium – Grassland Resort – Lunar Path – Sunset Valley – Wario's Ice Mine – Night Wario's Gold Mine – Blue Castle – Handy's Garden – Christmas Garden – Green Circuit
Grassland Circuit – Night Toad's Factory – Starlight Castle – Midnight Gorge – Snowy Hills – Choco Summit – Night Desert – Night Beach – Snow Beach
YouTube Channel: JorisMKW
Mario Kart Boards: JorisMKW