WBZ (File Format)
WBZ is an alternative compression format for Yaz0 (used in SZS files). It is dedicated to the WU8 patching file format to allow small files without copyrighted material. The alternative compression should also help to avoid false positives of the copyright file scanners.
See »File format: U8 archives« for related file formats.
The file format is very simple:
|0x00||u32|| The magic of WBZ: "WBZa" = 0x57425a61
The lower case 'a' means: first version. If ever a new version is defined, the letter will be increased.
|0x04||8 bytes||Copy of the first 8 bytes of the decompressed data. This copy should help tools to find out the file format of the decompressed file without the need of decompressing it. An example is the command: wszst filetype of Wiimms SZS Tools.|
|0x0c||u32||The size of the decompressed data in network byte order (big endian).|
|0x10||*||BZIP2 compressed data.|
BZIP2 compression factors
The BZIP2 compression algorithm supports the compression levels 1 to 9. In general, level 9 is the best choice, because it produces the smallest files and is only a bit slower than the other level. But because track data has many repeated sequences, sometime other compression levels, and especially level 1, will give a better compression ratio.
A good way is to compress the data with level 1 and 9 and to use the smallest one. Wiimms SZS Tools do this.
Wiimms SZS Tools support these default file extensions:
|archive format||compression format||file extension|
|all other||—||type dependent|
Conversion in Windows
- Install the current version of Wiimms SZS Tools.
- Install the SendTo extension with: install-sendto.bat.
- If not done, create the autoadd library:
- Extract the directory /Race/Course of the Mario Kart Wii DVD.
- Select the extracted directory with a right click and call SendTo | create-autoadd-library.
- Now you can convert each SZS and WBZ by using SendTo | convert-*.
You can also use the WBZ Converter.
The following tools can handle WBZ files:
- Wiimms SZS Tools, by Wiimm
- WBZ Converter, by Wiimm
- WBZ/WU8 Converter, by MrKoeikoei
- Wexos's Toolbox, by Wexos
- Wiki links