Wiimms SZS Tools
|Operating Systems:|| Linux (i386,x86_64),|
|Software Type:||File manager, decoding and encoding toolset.|
|Compression Formats:||Yaz0, Yaz1, WBZ.|
|Archive Formats:||SZS, U8, WU8, PACK, RARC, BRRES, BREFF, BREFT.|
|File Formats:||BMG, BTI, KCL, KMP, MDL0, PAT0, TPL, TEX0, PNG, OBJ, StaticR.rel, main.dol, CT-CODE.|
|Image formats:||I4, I8, IA4, IA8, RGB565, RGB5A3, RGBA32, C4, C8, C14X2, CMPR.|
|Current Version:||v1.59a, 2018-08-05|
Wiimms SZS Tools has a spelling error, you should see but as a brand name.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Main Features
- 3 Last Features
- 4 History and Download
- 5 Tools Overview
- 6 Links
Wiimms SZS Tools is a set of different tools to manipulate SZS, U8, RARC, BRRES, BREFF and BREFT archives and BMG, BTI, KCL, KMP, MDL0, TPL, TEX0 and StaticR.rel files. All tools are command line tools and run without any interaction. The tools are available for Linux, Mac and Windows. The main goal is to run them in batch files and scripts to automate recurring jobs. At the moment there are 8 tools:
- wszst : Wiimms SZS Tool (handles SZS, U8, RARC, BRRES, BREFF and BREFT archives)
- wbmgt : Wiimms BMG Tool (convert and patch BMG files in binary and text format).
- wimgt : Wiimms Image Tool (convert and patch image files of Mario Kart Wii).
- wkclt : Wiimms KCL Tool (convert raw KCL files from/into obj format).
- wkmpt : Wiimms KMP Tool (handles raw and text KMP files, read text files like a compiler).
- wpatt : Wiimms PAT Tool (handles raw and text PAT0 files, read text files like a compiler).
- wstrt : Wiimms StaticR Tool (handles StaticR.rel and main.dol files of Mario Kart Wii).
- wctct : Wiimms CT-CODE Tool (handles CT(GP)-CODE to allow >32 tracks).
One main goal is the fully automated track name replacement. The tools together can do this. Another goal is to extract all sub files recursively and transforming they into user friendly file formats (like text of png files) and support recreation of the original source files.
There is also an little How To.
- The tools are command line tools. This means, that there is no GUI support. The main advantage is, that you can place commands into scripts (batch files) for fully automated execution → More about command line.
- wszst is the main SZS tool. It has a fast Yaz0 compressor with the best compression rates.
- The wszst command CHECK can help you to find bugs in your track.
- The new wszst command SLOTS makes a track proposal for working and non working slots.
- The KCL tool wkclt can create KCL files from scratch (they become as small as possible) by reading an OBJ file. It can also export an existing KCL to an OBJ file with colors to make a KCL visible.
- The KMP tool wkmpt can decode and compile (yes, it's a real compiler with loops and other control structures) KMP files.
- While compiling, it can overide some parameters for debugging or optimization.
- The KMP compiler can use the KCL to find optimal vertical positions of objects and route points. This is good for visual debugging.
- The wkmpt command DRAW creates an OBJ file with KCL and add route positions and other objects of the KMP.
- The wszst command PATCH can transform whole tracks inkl. KCL, KMP, MODEL, MINIMAP and VRCORN. Transforming means any combinations of scaling, rotating and shifting with different factors for each axis.
- The wszst command MINIMAP can center the minimap automatically. You can use this command with SZS, U8, BRRES and MDL0 files.
- The image tool wimgt can convert images of all formats:
- It can convert the file formats TPL, TEX0, BTI, BREFT and PNG to any other.
- It can convert the Image Formats I4, I8, IA4, IA8, RGB565, RGB5A3, RGBA32, C4, C8, C14X2 and CMPR to any other.
- It supports the palette formats IA8, RGB565 and RGB5A3.
- It can automatically create mipmaps, or it can use user defined mipmaps and create only missed mipmaps automatically.
- It can patch images with other images.
Ignoring small triangles
Sometimes, the imported file contains very small triangles with an area smaller than 1 unit2. They were accidentally inserted into the model by the user. Because of the littleness, the user will not see them in the model view of its 3D Tool. However, machines like the KCL importer of these tools see them and insert them into the KCL — this is not a bug of the tools. The Wii has (mathematical) problems to use them in a correct way with the result of KCL glitches like mini walls on the road.
As of v1.58a there exist 2 new options: --tri-area=EXPR and --tri-height=EXPR to filter out too small triangles.
Option --tri-area=EXPR defines the minimal area size of KCL triangles. The intention is to ignore triangles that are generally to small. EXPR is a floating point number or expression. Triangles are invalidated if their area size is smaller than EXPR. Values between 0.01 and 4.0 are recommended. The careful value 1.0 is used as default. Value 0 disables this filter functionality.
Option --tri-height=EXPR defines the minimal height of KCL triangles. The intention is to ignore deformed triangles (very slim, but long). EXPR is a floating point number or expression. Triangles are invalidated if at least 1 of the 3 heights is smaller than EXPR. Values between 0.01 and 2.0 are recommended. The careful value 1.0 is used as default. Value 0 disables this filter functionality.
The tests for both options are executed after reading files, after transformations, and after calculating normals and lengths.
KMP section WIM0
Version 1.59a supports the new KMP section »WIM0«. The idea is to store settings of a KMP text file into the binary KMP and restore theses settings on extraction.
At the moment, only creation of section WIM0 without payload is possible to check the compaitibily of other tools. The Wii has no problem with additional and unknown sections; it simply ignores them.
History and Download
Wiimm started the development of his SZS Tools in March 2011. The first goal was to automate the insertions of the track names for Wiimms Mario Kart Fun distributions. Therefore 2 tools have been needed: A SZS extractor and creator and a BMG manipulator. The 2 tools wszst and wbmgt were ready in April 2011. After this, Wiimm implemented an Image-Tool (wimgt), an StaticR.rel tool (wstrt), a KMP tool (wkmpt) and a KCL tool (wkclt). All tools are command line tools to support scripts and fully automated operations.
Latest Change Log
szs v1.59a r7533 - 2018-08-05 - Option --kcl-min is not longer supported. Use option --tri-height instead. - The old file extension ".flag.txt" for KCL flag files is not longer supported. - wszst/wkmpt CHECK: Battle arenas are now detected in 2 levels: "some hints found" and "is battle arena". Some hints and warnings are suppressed for battle arenas. - wszst SLOTS: For battle arenas, the keyword ARENA is printed instead of a slot list. - New option: --export-flags[=mode] (or short: --exflags): KMP compiler and scanner support the export and import of KMP flags for sections ENPT, ITPT and JGPT through a binary KMP file. Therefore, the last byte of the scale or of the x-rotation is used. Values becomes inaccurate by 0.003% (not relevant for scale or rotation and not noticeable while playing). MODE is either OFF, AUTO (default) or ON. Without value, ON is used. ON and OFF override the @EXPORT-FLAGS settings of a KMP text file. - New option: --wim0[=mode]: KMP compiler and scanner support the export and KMP parameters through a special KMP section named "@WIM0@". MODE is either OFF, AUTO (default) or ON. Without value, ON is used. ON and OFF override the @WIM0 setting of a KMP text file. This as an experimental feature at the moment to proof the compatibility with other KMP tools. - New command wkmpt WIM0: Analyze the WIM0 section of each KMP file (text, binary or szs) and print an info about it. - wkmpt DRAW: AREAs are drawn dependent of the mode either as a rectangle cuboid or as a cylinder (more exact: as an anti prism with 20 sides). - wkmpt: If creating a KMP by text file, the PREV and NEXT links of item routes are checked. If missed, a link to self is added to avoid a freeze. - Option --kmp FIX-CKPH,FIX-ENPH,FIX-ITPH: If a PREV or NEXT link is missed, a link to itself is added. Before, a link to another group was inserted. - Camera types 0 (Goal) and 3 (KartFollow) are excluded from transformation and scaling now. - KMP text files: STGI is printed with new column names according the new knowledge of CT-Wiiki. - Internal KMP GOBJ database updated by CT-Wiiki object table. szs v1.58b r7503 - 2018-05-18 - Default value for options --tri-area and --tri-height is now 1.0. - Some more minor edits. szs v1.58a r7499 - 2018-04-20 - Option --kcl-min=EXPR: This option is deprecated, but still supported. It is an alternative name for --tri-height=EXPR now. - New option --tri-area=EXPR: Define the minimal area size of KCL triangles. The intention is to ignore triangles that are generally to small. EXPR is a floating point number or expression. Triangles are invalidated if their area size is smaller than EXPR. The test is executed after reading files, after transformations, and after calculating normals and lengths. Values between 0.01 and 4.0 are recommended. The careful value 1.0 is used as default. Value 0 disables this filter functionality. - New option --tri-height=EXPR: Define the minimal height of KCL triangles. The intention is to ignore deformed triangles (very slim, but long). EXPR is a floating point number or expression. Triangles are invalidated if at least 1 of the 3 heights is smaller than EXPR. The test is executed after reading files, after transformations, and after calculating normals and lengths. Values between 0.01 and 2.0 are recommended. The careful value 0.1 is used as default. Value 0 disables this filter functionality. - You can proof the impact of the options above by command wkclt TEST. - Command wkclt DUMP has been expanded and shows metrics like side length, area size and heights for each triangle. - New command: wkclt LIST: Print a list of all triangles with metrics in human and machine readable text format. It is like command DUMP, but reduced to the list of triangles. - New implementation for OBJ groups without assigned KCL flag. They will be inserted into the OBJ export now.
wszst (Wiimms SZS Tool)
wszst is a command driven tool to manipulate archives:
- Supported archive formats: SZS, U8, RARC, BRRES, BREFF and BREFT.
- It can extract all subfiles of any archive.
- While extracting some file formats can be decoded (converted to text or PNG files).
- It can create all (but not RARC archives) while readind and scanning a directory structure. Decoded files are encoded automatically.
wbmgt (Wiimms BMG Tool)
wkclt (Wiimms KCL Tool)
wkclt is a command driven tool to convert KCL files into/from binary KCL from/into Wavefront OBJ files.
→ Tool wkclt: Features, commands and options
→ General parser syntax and semantics
→ KCL export and import guide
wkmpt (Wiimms KMP Tool)
wkmpt is a command driven tool to convert KMP files into/from binary from/into text files. A special compiler is used to allow variables, expressions, if..then..else, loops, macros and user defined functions while reading a KMP text file.
→ Tool wkmpt: Features, commands and options
→ General parser syntax and semantics
→ KMP text syntax and semantics
→ KMP parser functions
→ How to edit KMP files
wimgt (Wiimms Image Tool)
wimgt is a command driven tool to convert and aptch graphic images:
- wimgt supports the file formats BREFT, BTI, TEX0, TPL and PNG as export and import type.
- wimgt supports the internal image formats I4, I8, IA4, IA8, RGB565, RGB5A3, RGBA32, C4, C8, C14X2 and CMPR (and also different PNG formats).
wstrt (Wiimms StaticR Tool)
- KMP & KCL Parser
Introduction – Textures – Scale – Modeling – BRRES: CTools – BRRES: BrawlBox
Minimap – Solidity – KCL: Wiimms Tools – KMP Editing – Object Editing
Cameras – Cannons – Post-effects – Videos