From Custom Mario Kart
About CPU routes
I have not really experience in it, but I know, how Nintendo did it and can give you some hints.
- The CPU drives the routes forwards and backwards ⇒ bidirectional usage.
- At every junction, the CPU chose a new route by random.
- Create small route peaces with 3 to 5 points.
- For all routes use the same direction (e.g. clockwise for this arena) for a better overview.
- For each route define 6 followers. Chose the nearest 6 route staring points to select the followers.
- If using my KMP tool, the prev-links are calculated automatically.
- It works like described. See image on the right:
- There are 8 ENPT groups, each with 3 points.
- There ar 4 pairs of routes. Both routes of a pair are parallel.
- The direction is clockwise.
- Both routes of a pair are linked (NEXT) to both routes of the next pair.
- The PREV links are set automatically following the other direction.
- The 12 arrows in the middle are the start positions.
- In my first test, the route width (sometimes called SCALE) was 0. This setup failed. Then I changed the width to 30.0 and tested it in coin runners and balloon. It worked perfectly, all CPU drivers selected a next route by random and changed many times the main direction.
- -- Wiimm (talk) 13:27, 1 August 2018 (UTC)