GCN DK Mountain
|Appearance(s):|| Mario Kart: Double Dash!!|
Mario Kart Wii
|Cup appearance(s):|| Star Cup (GCN)|
Lightning Cup (Wii)
Layout and Description
The course is based around a large volcano, set in the midst of a large jungle. The course starts within a small portion of the jungle near the edge of a canyon, with a small straight ahead leading into a 180° turn. Said turn leads the racers into a cannon, which shoots them across the entire length of the course on to the summit of the volcano. Upon landing, a 180° turn is is required to avoid running into a wall. This leads to large downhill section south, headed indirectly towards the finish line. The races are exposed to several 'bumps' on the rocky portion of the volcano, quickly leading onto a dirt road, wrapping around two 180° turns back-to-back, the first leading the racers west into the second head east. Still running down hill, this road lead to sharp 90° turn west near the edge of a cliff, leading into yet another 180° turn around a large ravine. This leads to the lowest elevated portion of the mountain, on a small straight leading to a bridge. The bridge fills these gap between the foothill of the mountain and the starting line, with a large canyon and running river below. In an attempt to throw the players off, the bridge sways back and forth in the 'wind', though the racers usually manage to 'stick' to the bridge on their way across. At last, the finish line is crossed on the other side of the canyon.
Differences between versions
While the track layout did not visually receives any modifications from it's appearance in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, several alterations were made for it's appearance in Mario Kart Wii as a retro track:
- Mud was added to the two previous drivable 'grassy' section seen immediately to the left and right of the starting line.
- The additional 'volcanoes' seen in he background are now a light brown colour, rather than their previous grey colour.
- Trickable ramps have been added to the downhill section of the volcano.
- Half-pipe ramps were added is several areas.
- Most tree's 'faces' no longer include a smile.
- The center of the cannon is now white with a fog effect, rather than it's previous black appearance.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Official website: "Go off-roading on DK Mountain as you fly with reckless abandon down a volcano, through ridiculous curves, and across a twisting log bridge. Oh, and you get shot out of a cannon too."
- Official European website: "Dense jungles, rickety bridges, slippery slopes, rolling boulders and, erm, a sulking volcano... It can only be DK Mountain"
Mario Kart Wii
- Official European website: "If getting fired to the top of a huge volcano isn't dangerous enough for you, the cliff-side drops and ramshackle bridges might increase the fear factor as you race around DK Mountain."
GCN DK Mountain shares it's musical theme with GCN Dino Dino Jungle.
It was composed by Asuka Ota and Ryo Nagamatsu.
- DS Cheep Cheep Beach uses scaled versions of the textures found in this course.