Talk:Custom Track Distribution
Example: Custom Track Distribution
A custom track distribution is a collection of Custom Tracks and/or Texture Hacks which have been created by a user, to allow other users to download and play all of the tracks in the distribution. It is important that all users playing on Custom Tracks together use the same distribution, otherwise different users may race on different tracks which makes the race unfair. Custom track distributions may also change other things about the game, such as menu coloring and text.
|Distribution||Custom Type||Distribution Type||Release||Status||Author|
|CTGP 2.8||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2010-10||released||MrBean35000vr|
|Wiimms Mario Kart Fun 2010-12||Custom Tracks||ISO Patcher||2010-12-13||released||Wiimm|
|CtocKartWii 2.8.5||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2010-12-13||released||Tock|
|CtocKartWii 2.9||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2011-01||released||Tock|
|Mario Kart Wii 2||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2011-02||in progress||Vulcanus2|
|Funky's Riivolution||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2011-02||released||SuperFunkyKong|
|Wiimms Mario Kart Retro 2011-02||Custom Tracks||ISO Patcher||2011-02-25||released||Wiimm|
|CTGP 4.4||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2011-03||in progress||MrBean35000vr|
|Wiimms Mario Kart Fun 2011-03||Custom Tracks||ISO Patcher||2011-03-25||released||Wiimm|
|CtocKartWii 3.0||Custom Tracks||Riivolution||2011-04-08||released||Tock|
|ALPHA's Texture Pack 1||Texture Hacks||Riivolution||2011-04||in progress||ALPHAMARIOX|
I think it is best to leave cancelled distribution pages (and track pages) on the wiki rather than delete them outright. They were likely discussed and linked to on the MKW forums or other websites, mentioned in readme files or blogs and people might look for them here. It's better for people to see a short message that similar to "This distribution was planned by So and So. The project was cancelled. Please see the Custom Track Distribution page for other track and character collections." instead of a broken link and no explanation of what happened to the distribution other than the deletion log message. The status on this page should be changed to Cancelled, and links to the distribution should be removed from all other wiki pages except user pages and talk pages. --Jefe 13:37, 20 April 2012 (UTC)
- I agree fully -- Wiimm 13:43, 20 April 2012 (UTC)
CTDs getting carried away?
I noticed recently there has been far too many CTDs in the Recent Changes plus like 2 MK64 remakes and 2 MKDD remakes and some dumb ones like the ones by GrupoNewest. This is a Custom track wiiki not a CTD Wiiki. And most of the time when someone makes a CTD then only like 5 people download it, so the maker does all that work for nothing. Does anybody else think CTDs are getting carried away?
--From FunkyDude (talk) 14:54, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- There really isn't a rule about CTDs and how many someone can make (at least to my knowledge). I don't believe this was considered to be a major problem when the rules were made. Maybe we should get some other opinions on this first, especially for the growing number of Mario Kart 64 CTDs.
- -- Have a nice day, from ZillaSpaz 17:15, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Bump. Personally, I think we should set a limit to how many Custom Track Distributions a normal user is allowed to make. More and more users register here only to make Custom Track Distributions with questionable quality.
- -- Have a nice day, from ZillaSpaz 19:01, 17 September 2013 (UTC)
- It not possible to limit distributions. And I never accept any limitation for my distributions. We can only manage this page. Perhaps we create a new sub page to keep the main page small: Custom Track Distribution/outdated
- Wiimm (talk) 20:52, 17 September 2013 (UTC)
I too think there are too many distros being released, and a lot of them are all but pointless. But I agree with Wiimm. If someone decides to publish a distro, it is in the interest of the community to have it listed on the wiki. Let's say we add a rule like, you can only publish 1 distro per week/two weeks/whatever. It doesn't change the fact that it has been made. We'd just be making people wait to add it, and not for any particularly good reason. --Jefe (talk) 17:40, 18 September 2013 (UTC)
- I disagree. I think that we should make a rule saying: "You can only make a maximum of 3 distros" or something like that. If we make a rule like 1 distro a week then there will still be many pointless ones made. --From FunkyDude (talk) 21:31, 18 September 2013 (UTC)
- Let's start to clean up: "Mario Kart Wii 2" and "Pati's and Joshi's MKW" were never released and there is no wiki page. The only info is about cancelling. I think these 2 can be removed.
- Why not split the table in 3 parts:
- Old and outdated (>1 year) distributions, hidden in a spoiler.
- Current distribs, always visible.
- Coming/announced distribs, perhaps hidden in a spoiler.
- Wiimm (talk) 21:52, 20 September 2013 (UTC)
Reorganizing and New Rules
I plan to split the distributions into 4 tables in this order:
- Current Distributions
- Must be released.
- Info page in our Wiiki is required
- Old or Outdated Distributions
- Hidden with spoiler
- Old or outdated, but released distribs
- Info page in our Wiiki is required
- Announced Distributions
- Not released yet
- Info page in our Wiiki is required at least 1 month after announce ⇒ if not: entry will be deleted.
- At least one update of info page in last 6 month ⇒ if not: entry moved to canceled distribs
- Cancelled Distributions
- Hidden with spoiler
- Distrib official cancelled or no progress since 6 month
- Info page in our Wiiki is required
Then I will reverse the order to current at top. That seems logical to me because Outdated is the (hidden) continuation of Current and also behind Current. Same for Cancelled and Announced.
Then I will create a rules sub page with this (and maybe more) rules for the distribution page.
Wiimm (talk) 09:54, 20 November 2013 (UTC)
my ct id
actually wiimm my ct pack id does work RMCx191 was tested and works Soarin MKWII (talk) 02:02, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
Impossible, because a disc ID (also called ID6) has per definition only 6 characters. -- Wiimm (talk) 15:19, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
well me and a friend tested it we picked Regional (CTWW) and we picked each other up cant really argue with that. i could also post a video when we both have time of us doing a CTWW if you would like Soarin MKWII (talk) 01:25, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
- Well then tell us how you expanded the hard limit of 6 characters to 7. You either made "everything right" and just changed the character AFTER the GameID too or you didnt edited it at all. Also your online test doesnt proof anything.
- Tock (talk) 03:43, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
i looked up how to edit the staticr.rel on youtube and a region change came up so i did exactly that typed in my region as 191 i even went on alone and found no one but when my friend came on he was who i found and yes the online test video would prove something just like a video on a CT would prove that well... its a custom track Soarin MKWII (talk) 03:59, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
- And we found your mistake. You didnt edited the Game ID but the Region ID. Look at the end of the Page for such IDs. You are lucky that the Region (not the GameID!) 191 is free. You can claim it on the Custom Track Regions page.
- Tock (talk) 04:26, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
- Edit: I just claimed the region 191 (or BF in hex) for you.
- Tock (talk) 04:37, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
- ok thank you, glad to clear things up now!
Soarin MKWII (talk) 04:43, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
New Page Structure
An idea: I like to remove old and outdated from the page and replace the table of active distributions by a list with sub-headings and explanations. Each distribution will have the same status table and below explanations and trivia about the distrib.
Old distributions can be reached over category:Distribution and its subcategories.
-- Wiimm (talk) 12:54, 29 June 2016 (UTC)
Missing Download from a Deleted Distribution
I found a CT distribution called "Newer Mario Kart Wii Revolution!: Sunset Sun & Dark Moon," created by Super-Mario68, but it was deleted about three years ago, and I don't know the download link. Bri (talk) 21:32, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
Does anyone know how to make a distribution with a speed mod?
I've tried to help someone with the xml of his distribution and he wants to have the distribution add a speed mod to every track even though none if them actually have one. Is there any way to do this with an xml or will it need a separate gct or something? I've tried talking to every discord server I know for modding mkw and I even went to a brawl server, I'd love to hear if this is possible. [(User:IthinkthereforeIam|IthinkthereforeIam)] (talk) 17:37, 6 September 2017 (UTC)
- Skipper has already made a 200KMH (~300cc) distribution, look a bit further. --Unsigned comment by FancyDoesCustomTracks (talk).
I think the current groups are too big, I think we should divide Current Distributions in some way, like maybe distributions updated in the current year, My Stuff and Non-My Stuff, 32 Tracks/CT-CODE and LE-CODE, just `something`. --FancyDoesCustomTracks (talk) 17:26, 2 April 2020 (UTC)
- For a long time I removed distibs without updates since 1 year from the main list. But now my time goes more into Wiimmfi and LE-CODE. So the first step is to move old distribs to the outdated part. And then we discuss a reorganization. -- Wiimm (talk) 20:07, 2 April 2020 (UTC)
What happened here:  ? Enjoy Funky Kong dancing and peace! (Talk) 03:28, 23 May 2021 (UTC)
What is the best softwre to use to make a CT distrubution? If there isn't one, could someone code it for me? ----MKWiiModder-- (talk) 23:14, 22 February 2023 (UTC)