I'm Rex. I pretty much just exist, I can't really say much else since I find myself to be a bit of an uninteresting person in most aspects. The main types of mods I create are Custom Tracks, which I release very occasionally. Pretty much for all of them, I tend to make them more for my own fun rather than for any super serious reasons. My tracks will not be for everybody and they'll have flaws with them, so I recommend you probably check out other people's work instead if you're looking for something more polished. I don't strive to be perfect with my tracks, so I hope that you can at least respect that I do this more for a random hobby and not for any sort of occupation or trying to be the best at :)
If you want to see more information and my thoughts about the new mods I release, check out my mod blog page!
- I am 19 years old. I am male, I use he/they pronouns.
- I first learned about Mario Kart Wii custom tracks some time in 2012-2013, mainly from watching various YouTube videos featuring them. I wanted to get CTGP for a while, though I never got to doing so until Summer 2017. The first custom track I played was Super Sky Courtyard (due to it being the first track in the default cup layout at the time), and the first custom track I played online was Psyduck Cliffs. Since then, I would play a bit infrequently, though starting in 2019, I got more involved with Discord and Twitch communities revolving around Mario Kart Wii, and started playing more actively. In 2021, I started to let myself have less of a presence in the general communities, as I started to prefer being someone who is more unknown. Since then I have mainly stuck to interacting with friends and people who do modding for the game, primarily in CT creation. When it comes to playing the game nowadays, I tend to just play worldwide races every so often, mostly CTWWs on custom track distributions I enjoy playing. In the past, I would enjoy doing Time Trials too, though in mid-late 2020, I stopped doing them regularly, as I didn't really enjoy the pressure of trying to set a "good" run, and I was bad at some of the more advanced driving tech. I know some competitive strategies and item skills when it comes to playing online, but I would still consider myself a casual player, because I don't like to play very seriously (which goes for pretty much all multiplayer games I play), and I like to use different characters and vehicles. In these recent years especially, I mainly play the game for the fun of it, and have the most enjoyment in playing the game when I just want to play a couple of races and don't really care about how well I place in them. I think my outlook on playing the game and also my experience in creating tracks myself has helped me enjoy the CTs people make more overall, recently I feel it is very rare for me to actually dislike a track, and there are quite a few tracks out there I find at least some appreciation in that I feel like a majority of players would just brush off without thought.
- My favorite game series are Pokémon (especially the spinoff series Pokémon Mystery Dungeon), and various Mario spinoffs such as Mario Kart (duh), Paper Mario (primarily the first three games, I don't like SS, and I haven't tried CS and TOK but have interest in playing the latter eventually), and Mario Party. I hope to branch out and play more non Nintendo games a bit more in the future, my favorites I've played in the past few years being Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, and Fall Guys. The first video game I played was Mario Kart Double Dash.
- The name "Rex" mainly comes from the Super Mario World enemy with the same name. I first used the name in a weekly Mario Kart 8 tournament in 2015, where I planned on changing my name each time I played in it, but I started getting known there by the name Rex after I had used it. For a while it was the only place I had used the alias, until 2017, in which I started using it in more places I existed across the internet. Despite my name, I'm actually not very much of a dinosaur enthusiast, there's many other animals that I like more than them, though I wouldn't say that I dislike them. To me, they're an animal that I definitely like more in cartoonish styles rather than realistic styles (Yoshi being a good example)
Questions and permission to update stuff
If you want to ask me questions that are related to any of the mods I've published on here, you're free to ask them on my user talk page. Once I see it, I will respond to it if I feel it is needed. I do have a Discord account, but I'm usually not confident in talking with people I haven't talked with much before more directly. If you do already have me added though, feel free to DM me instead of using the talk page.
If you want to do an update, texture hack, or track edit for any of my Custom Tracks:
- I would prefer you asking me for permission first. I probably won't end up minding it as long as there's no harm behind it, though I would still like it if you asked me before doing anything regarding just so I know about it. If it's a very small update/edit, such as just changing one setting of something that already exists in the track, I don't mind if you don't ask for permission.
- If an update is something more for yourself or a distribution, I would appreciate you making it an alternate or distribution specific version.
- You do not need to ask for permission if it is fixing something that is very clearly a bug or unintended effect (such as a crash), though I may end up fixing that myself if brought to my attention and I can do so. If it is something more ambiguous on if it could be a bug or not, please ask me for my thoughts before doing anything with it.
- Please respect my wishes for aspects of the track I do not want altered. There's not many specific things I can think of regarding this, but just let me know ahead of time what you're adding or changing, and I'll let you know if I'm fine with it.
I do not wish for any of my Custom Tracks to be ported to other Mario Kart games, unless I give you permission to do so, or I port them myself.
Released tracks that are exempt from my user link can be due to one or multiple of the following, primarily the first two:
- I've grown to not like the track as much since releasing it
- I find the track to be less "complete" compared to most of the other tracks listed
- It's something mostly created as a joke, or is made for a more specific purpose (such as an event) that may cause it to not work as well in more traditional races
Sherbet Circuit – Mossy Tower Ruins (collab) – Tech Tube Town – Paralyzed Cliffs – Hazy Lazy Desert – Yoshi's Summer Safari – Cove Crossing (collab) – Delightfully Daring (collab)
Ports & Remakes:
SBSPLCP Floor It 1 & 3 – Stunny City – N64 Koopa Troopa Beach – N64 Banshee Boardwalk
Cyan Koopa Troopa