|Date of latest version:
MKW-SP (short for Mario Kart Wii - Service Pack) is an open-source mod created by stebler. It features up to six different licenses, viewing up to 11 ghosts at a time, a custom speedometer, SD ghost saving, and more.
A quote from the author
- MKW-SP is fully open-source and the code (including the whole history) and the issue tracker are available on Github, and so is my Ghidra repository. That means that anyone is free (and welcome) to implement new features. Feedback is also very appreciated and will be listened to.
- CLF78, for his help with the initial release.
- Lami, Riidefi, Seeky, and Star, for contributing on Github.
- All developers in the table below for creating code used in the mod.
|Custom Save System
||The rksys.dat format is replaced with a custom system that can support more than four licenses (for now, the UI can handle up to six) and additional settings. Ghosts are moved to separate files and everything is always unlocked. Riivolution’s redirect feature is used to store all files to the SD card (or equivalent) instead of the NAND.
||It is possible to race against or watch up to 11 ghosts at once. One can switch between ghosts during a replay (similar to a live view). The ghost selection UI has been accordingly remade from scratch.
|Tag Limit Increase
||Up to 12 tags can be shown at once (from three in the vanilla game).
||The player's speed is shown in the HUD, including moving road and moving water. Splitscreen is supported. The “SPEED” label has been translated into four languages.
|Additional Ghost Metadata
||stebler, Chadderz, MrBean35000vr, CLF78
||The track's SHA1, whether 200cc is enabled, more precise finish times and detected glitches are saved at the end of the ghost file. The first two properties are used to only show ghosts for the correct track and engine class. The equivalent fields can be read from CTGP ghosts for the same purpose. The SHA1 computation does not take _Dif files into account, allowing for custom textures.
|Pause Menu Improvements
||Additional buttons have been added to the pause menus, notably one to change the settings and another to go back directly to the ghost selection.
||stebler, MK Translation Project
||All languages (plus Dutch) are supported in all versions of the game. Some of the MKW-SP-specific strings are also translated.
|My Stuff Folder
||Allows for file replacements such as custom tracks, custom music and so on. For tracks and UI files, it is possible to replace only certain U8 subfiles by adding the _Dif suffix to the archive name (e.g. koopa_course_Dif.szs or MenuSingle_E_Dif.szs).
|Automatic BRSAR Patching
||The revo_kart.brsar file will now be automatically patched to prevent music from cutting off mid-race.
|Rear View In Replay
||In ghost replay mode, cinematic view is replaced by rear view.
|Hide HUD Labels
||License setting. The TIME, LAP and SPEED HUD labels are hidden.
|4:3 FOV in 16:9
||License setting. The wider 4:3 field-of-view is used in 16:9 mode
|Mii Heads On Minimap
||License setting. For local players and ghosts, the Mii replaces the character as minimap icon.
|Instant Menu Transitions
||License setting. This allows for much faster navigation.
||License setting. The controller inputs are shown in the HUD. Splitscreen and 200cc are supported.
||VS and Time Trial rule. A speed class with a 1.5× speed modifier, brake drifting and fast falling.
||Time Trial rule. In the selection UI and in-race, ghosts can be sorted by finish time or by creation date.
|Ghost Tag Visibility
||Time Trial rule. Ghost tags can be shown for all, focused only or no ghost.
|Ghost Tag Content
||Time Trial rule. Ghost tags can be either the Mii name, finish time or creation date.
||Time Trial rule. Transparency can be disabled for all, focused only or no ghost.
||Time Trial rule. Sound can be enabled for all, focused only or no ghost.
||Date of release
- File Management:
- Removed 12 character limit for ghost files.
- On console, CTGP ghosts will now be listed automatically.
- Supported differential patching (_Dif files) for every SZS archive.
- The game no longer crashes when using _Dif files on top of certain archives.
- Added translations for MKW-SP-specific strings.
- Added Dutch for both the base game and MKW-SP-specific strings.
- All languages are now supported on all versions of the game.
- For now, only NTSC-K uses the Korean font.
- Added four language translations for the speedometer label graphic.
- The character animations are now correctly applied (and unlike in live view, also for the non-spectated ghost).
- The camera no longer wrongly follows the player when falling out of bounds or in cannons.
- Fixed a bug where the UI overlay was shown when a non-spectated ghost was falling out of bounds.
- Added an option to remove leading zeros from ghost tags when using the finish time.
- Fixed several crashes and freezes when going back to the menu.
- The first four ghosts no longer desync due to the pylon01 on Daisy Circuit.
- A fix is in the works to extend that limit.
- Lakitu now follows the spectated ghost.
- Sound is now configured in multi-ghost mode, with a new rule to choose between enabling sound for all ghosts, spectated only or none.
- Added a license setting for instant menu transitions.
- Added a button to change the license settings in the middle of a race or a replay.
- Added a button to change the ghost selection.
- It is now possible to restart in more game modes, and also during the countdown.
- Added various improvements to the pause menus.
- It is now possible to access Time Trials, even if savegame initialization failed.
- Corrected VS engine class to handle 200cc.
- Fixed a bug where the “About” button on the license selection UI was not selectable.
- Implemented an input display, which supports splitscreen and 200cc.
- The speedometer now shows the correct speed in cannons and applies the hard speed limit of 120/180 otherwise.
- Disabled Mii Heads on Minimap option in splitscreen (was previously showing random Miis).
- Configured GitHub Actions, which means that a build is generated on every proposed change, making life easier for both developers and testers.
- Tracks can now load faster on Dolphin if the host CPU and storage are fast enough.
- Added colored minimaps support for race tracks.
- Added USB keyboard support to perform certain actions via commands.
- For now, this only works on Dolphin on Windows.
- Improved Gecko code check to work on console and clarified warning.
- Note that support will only get worse when memory protection is implemented.
- The Mushroom strategy is now saved in the MKW-SP ghost header.
- Robustness and Security:
- Fixed a critical corruption bug in YAZ1 compression used when saving ghost files. For a ghost to be affected by it, the size of the compressed inputs has to be at least 4,096 bytes.
- Implemented protection of most main.dol and StaticR.rel read-only parts. This uses the MI interface, which can prevent writes not only from the CPU but also from some external devices.
- This only works on console and will break Gecko codes even more.
- Temporarily removed copy filter patch to increase image sharpness on console due to its incompatibility with memory protection.
- Revamped exception handler. It will now be displayed on the screen on console and show MKW-SP-specific information.
- Added custom screen that will show up on some common crashes in custom tracks and display suggested fixes.
- Fixed crash occurring during the demo sequence on the title screen.
- Updated Japanese, Korean and Dutch translations for MKW-SP strings.
- Menu transitions will fade to black again.
||The game no longer crashes when there is no internet connectivity on console.
||CTGP 200cc ghosts set with Baby Peach, Toad, Dry Bones, Mario, Peach, Diddy Kong, Waluigi, or Donkey Kong no longer desync when accelerating from a low speed.
- Ghost solidity is off by one frame when switching. See issue 44.
- VS and Battle settings are not saved. See issue 50.
- Most Gecko codes will not work because of the different memory map. A warning is shown on the title screen if they are enabled. When memory protection is implemented, support will be dropped altogether.