Wiimms SZS Tools
|Operating Systems:||Linux (i386/x86_64),|
|Software Type:||File manager, decoding and encoding toolset.|
|Compression Formats:||Yaz0, Yaz1, WBZ.|
|Archive Formats:||SZS, U8, WU8, PACK, RARC, BRRES, BREFF, BREFT.|
|File Formats:||BMG, BTI, KCL, KMG, KMP, MDL0, PAT0, TPL, TEX0, PNG, OBJ, StaticR.rel, main.dol, CT-CODE, LE-CODE, LEX, LPAR, ObjFlow, GeoHit, ItemSlot, minigame.|
|Image formats:||I4, I8, IA4, IA8, RGB565, RGB5A3, RGBA32, C4, C8, C14X2, CMPR.|
|Current Version:||v2.28a, 2022-08-27|
Wiimms SZS Tools has a punctuation error, but you should see it as a brand name.
Wiimms SZS Tools is a set of different tools to manipulate SZS, U8, RARC, BRRES, BREFF and BREFT archives and BMG, BTI, KCL, KMP, MDL0, TPL, TEX0 and StaticR.rel files. All tools are command line tools and run without any interaction. The tools are available for Linux, Mac and Windows. The main goal is to run them in batch files and scripts to automate recurring jobs. At the moment there are 9 tools:
- wszst : Wiimms SZS Tool (handles SZS, U8, RARC, BRRES, BREFF and BREFT archives)
- wbmgt : Wiimms BMG Tool (convert and patch BMG files in binary and text format).
- wimgt : Wiimms Image Tool (convert and patch image files of Mario Kart Wii).
- wkclt : Wiimms KCL Tool (convert raw KCL files from/into obj format).
- wkmpt : Wiimms KMP Tool (handles raw and text KMP files, read text files like a compiler).
- wpatt : Wiimms PAT Tool (handles raw and text PAT0 files, read text files like a compiler).
- wstrt : Wiimms StaticR Tool (handles StaticR.rel and main.dol files of Mario Kart Wii).
- wctct : Wiimms CT-CODE Tool (handles CT-CODE and LE-CODE files).
- wlect : Wiimms LE-CODE Tool (handles LE-CODE, LPAR and LEX files)
One main goal is the fully automated track name replacement. The tools together can do this. Another goal is to extract all sub files recursively and transforming they into user friendly file formats (like text of png files) and support recreation of the original source files.
There is also a little how to.
- The tools are command line tools. This means, that there is no GUI support. The main advantage is, that you can place commands into scripts (batch files) for fully automated execution → More about command line.
- wszst is the main SZS tool. It has a fast Yaz0 compressor with the best compression rates.
- The wszst command CHECK can help you to find bugs in your track.
- The new wszst command SLOTS makes a track proposal for working and non working slots.
- The KCL tool wkclt can create KCL files from scratch (they become as small as possible) by reading an OBJ file. It can also export an existing KCL to an OBJ file with colors to make a KCL visible.
- The KMP tool wkmpt can decode and compile (yes, it's a real compiler with loops and other control structures) KMP files.
- While compiling, it can overide some parameters for debugging or optimization.
- The KMP compiler can use the KCL to find optimal vertical positions of objects and route points. This is good for visual debugging.
- The wkmpt command DRAW creates an OBJ file with KCL and add route positions and other objects of the KMP.
- The wszst command PATCH can transform whole tracks inkl. KCL, KMP, MODEL, MINIMAP and VRCORN. Transforming means any combinations of scaling, rotating and shifting with different factors for each axis.
- The wszst command MINIMAP can center the minimap automatically. You can use this command with SZS, U8, BRRES and MDL0 files.
- The image tool wimgt can convert images of all formats:
- It can convert the file formats TPL, TEX0, BTI, BREFT and PNG to any other.
- It can convert the Image Formats I4, I8, IA4, IA8, RGB565, RGB5A3, RGBA32, C4, C8, C14X2 and CMPR to any other.
- It supports the palette formats IA8, RGB565 and RGB5A3.
- It can automatically create mipmaps, or it can use user defined mipmaps and create only missed mipmaps automatically.
- It can patch images with other images.
As of v2.21a, 2 Cygwin version are supported: One for 32-bit Windows and one for 64-bit Windows.
As of v2.24a, the ARM version for Mac is supported.
Porting and other address calculations
As of v2.26a, both commands are improved in many ways. Entered addresses can be real addresses, or file offsets, or cheat codes. By options the user can define the output format (with or without 0x prefix, with or without file offsets, with or without table headers).
History and Download
Wiimm started the development of his SZS Tools in March 2011. The first goal was to automate the insertions of the track names for Wiimms Mario Kart Fun distributions. Therefore 2 tools have been needed: A SZS extractor and creator and a BMG manipulator. The 2 tools wszst and wbmgt were ready in April 2011. After this, Wiimm implemented an Image-Tool (wimgt), an StaticR.rel tool (wstrt), a KMP tool (wkmpt) and a KCL tool (wkclt). Other tools were added later. The last added tool is wlect to manage LE-CODE and LEX files. All tools are command line tools to support scripts and fully automated operations.
Latest Change Log
szs v2.28a r8636 - 2022-08-27 - Continuing the implementation of LEX/FEAT: - Comamnd wszst FEATURES: Options for value 3 (impact) are printed always. - Option --print-modes removed. - Option --long (-l and -ll) used to append human readable flags. - wlect DISTRIBUTION: Minor optimizations. - Updated internal prefix database. - Tool wstrt: Option --add-section=PATH supports now wildcards. In this case PATH is used as search pattern and all found files are added. In order to use this variant, the calling shell must not interpret the wildcards. Therefore, PATH must usually be enclosed in single or double quotes. - Bug fix: Option --all-ranks accepts keyword RESTORE now. Due to a spelling mistake, only RETORE was recognized so far. szs v2.28a.beta2 r8627 - 2022-08-06 - There is a new LEX section called "FEAT". It declares the special features of a track file. CTGP-R uses this declaration to manage ghost. - Command "wszst FEATURES" prints the feature list to standard output. - Command "wlect CREATE FEAT" creates a LEX template with section FEAT. - Patching option --lex-features adds or updates LEX section FEAT if any relevant feature is set. - Patching option --lex-rm-features removes LEX section FEAT. - Continuing the implementation of wlect DISTRIBUTION: - Fixed a use after free bug (Cygwin only, fixed with r8614). - Export of prefix list supports color_index now. - Improved filename normalisation (Cygwin only). - The file formats LE-REF and LE-DIS changed. They are *NOT* compatible to v2.28a.beta. - Support of lap count and speed factor for file formats LE-DEF and LE-REF. - New instruction: SEPARATOR=string. Define a separator that is used by other instructions (e.g. COPY=). - New instruction: SPLIT=DEST,SRC,FORMAT. Visit https://szs.wiimm.de/opt/printf for details. - New option: wszst SPLIT --printf=format: Use the split filename to create a formatted string. See https://szs.wiimm.de/opt/printf for details. szs v2.28a.beta r8612 - 2022-07-09 - There is a new property for parsing the command line. In a preliminary step, the options "[email protected]" (1 argument) and "[email protected] FILENAME" (2 arguments) are searched. Each occurrence is replaced by the contents of file FILENAME, which again may contain "[email protected]". The maximum recursion depth is 10. Wildcard patterns are not resolved. - New command for all tools: EXPAND: All parameters are treated as a filename with wildcards and all matching files are searched. - New command: wszst SPLIT: Analyse (file) names and split them into the different parts. Print the results in machine readable format. - Command wlect CREATE re-implemented. Type 'wlect create help' for details. - New command: wlect DISTRIBUTION: The command manages data for LE-CODE track distributions. It reads any number of source files with different file types, collects the data and creates any number of files with different file types. Type 'wlect distribution' without arguments to get details. - New file formats to support wlect DISTRIBUTION: LE-DEF, LE-DIS, LE-REF, LE-STR, SHA1REF and PREFIX.
Wiimm released a beta version:
wszst (Wiimms SZS Tool)
wszst is a command driven tool to manipulate archives:
- Supported archive formats: SZS, U8, RARC, BRRES, BREFF and BREFT.
- It can extract all subfiles of any archive.
- While extracting some file formats can be decoded (converted to text or PNG files).
- It can create all (but not RARC archives) while readind and scanning a directory structure. Decoded files are encoded automatically.
wbmgt (Wiimms BMG Tool)
wkclt (Wiimms KCL Tool)
wkclt is a command driven tool to convert KCL files into/from binary KCL from/into Wavefront OBJ files.
→ Tool wkclt: Features, commands and options
→ General parser syntax and semantics
→ KCL export and import guide
wkmpt (Wiimms KMP Tool)
wkmpt is a command driven tool to convert KMP files into/from binary from/into text files. A special compiler is used to allow variables, expressions, if..then..else, loops, macros and user defined functions while reading a KMP text file.
→ Tool wkmpt: Features, commands and options
→ General parser syntax and semantics
→ KMP text syntax and semantics
→ KMP parser functions
→ How to edit KMP files
wimgt (Wiimms Image Tool)
wimgt is a command driven tool to convert and aptch graphic images:
- wimgt supports the file formats BREFT, BTI, TEX0, TPL and PNG as export and import type.
- wimgt supports the internal image formats I4, I8, IA4, IA8, RGB565, RGB5A3, RGBA32, C4, C8, C14X2 and CMPR (and also different PNG formats).
wstrt (Wiimms StaticR Tool)
- KMP & KCL Parser
Bash 'n' Dash 'n' Battle