Nintendo has announced that the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will be discontinued on May 20, 2014. This will impact all DS and Wii games with online features, including Mario Kart Wii. Wiimm had been analysing the Mario Kart Wii network traffic since November 2012 and had already written an helper tool named mkw-ana. And so he decided together with other people to create the Wiimmfi Project (formerly Wii-Server Project) to replace Nintendo's servers for Mario Kart Wii and perhaps for other games.
- 1 wiimmfi.de
- 2 State of the Project
- 3 Game Patcher
- 4 Updates/Maintenance
- 5 Implementation
- 6 Using old profiles
- 7 Links
wiimmfi.de is the new domain that replaces nintendowifi.net. All games must be patched to use this new domain and to disable https requests (see below).
State of the Project
At May 10 2014, 10 days before Nintendo shut down his servers, Wiimm released the Wiimmfi-Patchers. Since that day, the Wiimmfi-Server are available for the public. At the first day, the server supported only Mario Kart Wii including the different Custom Track Distributions. And now many more games are available.
The following games can be played using the custom servers:
- Animal Crossing: City Folk/Let's Go to the City!
- ExciteBots: Trick Racing
- Fortune Street Wii (only without registered friends)
- GTI Club Supermini Festa
- Mario Kart Wii (no competitions, ghosts and rankings in beta test)
- Mario Strikers Charged (no friend rooms)
- Pokemon Battle Revolution
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2008-2013
- Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (only global races)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Tatsunoko VS. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars (no friend rooms)
- Tetris Party Deluxe
- The Conduit
- The Conduit 2
- The Last Story (no online statistics)
- We Love Golf!
Don't forget that the development is not finished yet.
Games ready to test
The following games are enabled and waiting for tests:
- Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- ExciteBots: Trick Racing (NTSC-J)
- Mario Kart DS (NTSC-U-patch, PAL-patch)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2009-2012 USA/JPN
If you have tested one of this games and it worked, please tell Wiimm or Leseratte.
It seems that DS games also need a patch to replace https requests by http. Here you can find a patcher that should work with all DS games.
Known Game Issues
- After registering a new friend, you see a general "Wiimmfi"-Mii instead of the correct one. One room-event will make the real mii appear.
- Competitions do not work and will probably never work
- Ghost data Up/Download is in beta testing, so it may sometimes work
- The "viewing"-mode does not work.
Fortune Street Wii
- You can only login if you do not have any friends registered. You may register one and play friend races, but you have to delete them before logging of, or you can't log back in.
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
- Only global races work. Friend events do not work.
To play Wii games using the custom server, the games must be patched using the wiimmfi-Patcher. There are 2 patchers for USB-Loader, one for Mario Kart Wii and one for other games. For Riivolution users, MrBean35000vr is on the way to create a channel, that will patch the strings on the fly.
The wiimmfi-server is running in test mode. There is a second server for the active development. And so major updates must be done frequently.
The maintenance time is set between 16:30 and 17:30 UTC (17:30–18:30h CET) at every day. In this time the server may be stopped for updates and other things without further announcement. Don't be surprised if you are kicked or if login is not possible during this period. This time will also used to insert new retrieved friend codes.
Wiimm decided to implement the code in PHP as a fast solution and to find out the protocol details. From the beginning it was clear that it must be rewritten in C or C++ for performance reasons. While developing, there were some other issues. And now 2 servers are already implemented in C.
Server NASWII is the https based login server. NAS is an old NDS implementation for http. Both can be interchanged. On Wiimmfi, the server is implemented using APACHE2 and PHP5.
At the moment, only logins are accepted with old and new profiles. Complete new savegames send a request to get their unique console nickname from the server. This is not implemented yet.
If entering the WFC, the Wii connects to the Server GPCM using TCP. The connection is closed, when leaving WFC. The server is used for general maintenance and for message exchange between the clients.
It is implemented as PHP script. The interprocess communication (transferring messages) is implemented with UNIX sockets.
Server GPSP is used to retrieve information about friends. The Wii connects and disconnects frequently using TCP. We use Nintendos GPSP server to retrieve the profile_id and nick pairs.
On Wiimmfi, Server GPSP is fully implemented as PHP script.
Server MASTER listens at UDP port 27900. The clients (games) send frequently status records to the master. The master server stores them into a game specific table, where other clients can retrieve the information using the Server MS (see next point).
Server MASTER is now fully implemented in C for performance reasons.
Server MS is connected by the clients to retrieve information about other online clients. The query looks like a SQL query with select, where and limit clauses. The reply is encrypted by a game specific secret.
Server MS is fully implemented as PHP script, but pipes the response through an encoder written in C.
Server NATNEG is used to establish a connection between two players both being behind NAT. The clients only communicate with this server when they try to connect to another player.
Server SAKE is used for data exchange — files or records can be uploaded to the sake server. This is used for friend Mii exchange in Mario Kart Wii.
Server SAKE is being adapted by Leseratte from the »DWC Network Server Emulator« by Nagato and will probably be reimplemented later for performance reasons. At the moment, there is a beta-SAKE which always returns a "Wiimmfi"-Mii.
Server RACE is used for downloading the rankings in Mario Kart Wii.
Server GAMESTATS is for game statistics. Ciapa tries to implement rudimentary functions of the server.
Server DLS1 is a server for game updates. It is implemented as APACHE2/PHP script. At the moment, it just returns that no update is available. The base system allows different DLS1 server for different games.
Using old profiles
For each profile, there exists a profile id and nick name pair. Only the Wii of the user and the server database knows both of them. At login the Wii sends the nick name and the server answers with the related profile id. If the profile id is wrong, the game aborts the login.
There are 3 ways to use your old profiles with Wiimmfi:
- At the beginning of the project, when the old gamespy servers were available (shut down on July 25th, 2014), Wiimm retrieved 2.9 millions pairs. With a little bit of luck, your profile was also retrieved.
- If you have an account at Wiimmfi with assigned consoles, try to connect your profile with Wiimmfi. At the status page you will see a list with profiles and the unknown profile is marked as inactive. Press the button [set FC] and follow the instructions.
- You can download the app here. Simply start it and all profiles from supported games will get transmitted to our server. You can find a list of all supported games here.
- Project forum at Wii-Homebrew.com
- Other forums