Talk:YAZ0 (File Format)
(moved from user talk:Wiimm)
I have decided to add szs suppot to the kmp modifier but the page about the yaz0 compression isn't clear to me, can you give me a more clear explaination so I can code it myself?
kHacker35000vr 11:04, 10 November 2011 (CET)
- Do you want only reading szs or also writing? Ask more detailed!
- The reading example is short and fast, and in my eyes very clear. Which part can't you understand?
- The writing part is more complicated, because you must try different chunks to find a good compression. See my compression source.
- Use my source — why invent the wheel again?
- Wiimm 16:54, 10 November 2011 (CET)
- I wanted both, I didn't know that you shared the functions on a site, I can't understand the part with the chunks. Maybe an example makes it more clear.
- My problem is that I use a different language and the ex. on the preview is very short.
- kHacker35000vr 17:03, 10 November 2011 (CET)
- I know I have nothing to do with this, but I have a friend named "MarioNumber1" who made a Yaz0 Decompression tool in C# (What kind of language is the KMP Modifier?). And you can use another program within a program. To make it easier, you can direct your program to open a Batch file, which will open Wiimm's Yaz0 decomposer. Of course, you can still use the program's source, but it is possible to use the program within a program. I can contact MarioNumber1 and see if he'll allow me to use the source (I already have the source). It's already been reversed & treated as an erray of bytes to work with endian, so it seems to be functional. I've also used some byte converters to get it to work. I will ask him, and send you the source. If you can understand C#, than you can probably re-use that source and make it compress Yaz0. I'll ask him.
- SuperMario64DS, 21:58, 10 November 2011 (CET)
- Let's start with decompression. I have added some comments to YAZ0#Decompression. I don't now how to be more detailed, because I think description and example are very clear (ok, I'm a programmer). Please ask more concrete.
- Wiimm 15:41, 11 November 2011 (CET)
- The KMP Modifier is coded in vb.net, If I read this language I can always directly understand what there stands. If I read c# it's a bit harder but I can still understand some parts. I don't need the script for decompression/compression. Maybe if I know all the commands of any compressor I can use it as extra file so I don't have to translate between 2 languages.
- I do understand some parts of the YAZ0 compression, but I get stuck when I try to decrompress it myself (so no programs). Altough I'd like it more to understand it completly; if I can use (a part of) your tool as resource I can decompress and compress without more problems.
- kHacker35000vr 16:14, 11 November 2011 (CET)
- All my programs are .Net of course. The szs modifier's source isn't released but ctools is here: . That may not be clear, but I've implemented it as a System.IO.Stream, so that it can sit transparently on top of a file stream or any other kind of stream and decompress or compress as needed. If you find that too difficult to understand (which is fair enough really), I can upload the relevant szs modifier file (it's inefficient but it does work).
- Chadderz 06:50, 13 November 2011 (CET)