Old talk is archived on Talk:Main Page/Archive.Please continue discussion on this page. Sign your posts with --~~~~.
Mediafire and copyright claims
As of today, Mediafire has been removing lots of custom content related to MKWii (and that seems to be the only Wii game affected). I've had a texture hack and a model hack removed, and plenty of custom tracks have vanished as well. I suggest trying a different site, maybe your own webserver if possible.
The group involved is Kapow Software.es (who claim to be related to Nintendo, but their own site doesn't list Nintendo as a partner, but instead lists Microsoft).
--Digital Monster, Guilmon35249vr 22:20, 15 October 2012 (UTC)
- Volcanic Skyway 4 was also removed from Mediafire by the same company due to a copyright claim, and my account was immediately suspended. As such I am revoking the release of Volcanic Skyway 4 entirely, until I can use a patching system or include it in the next version of CTGP-R. I will not continue to upload to any more websites as I do not want to risk being sued or having my YouTube account suspended. If anybody would like to mirror the download, you may do so at your OWN risk. --BigOto 04:11, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
- I'm willing to mirror any download needed, however I must point a few things out:
- YouTube and MediaFire are not affiliated in any way (As far an action on one site effecting the other)
- Many others have both uploaded these hacks & tied them to their YouTube accounts theoretically, and have not received suspension from YouTube.
- The same company, "Kapow Software", was hired to delete all content/modifications (With the addition of un-official expansions) from of the game, The Sims 2. All YouTube videos of such modifications still exist, while the files are now hosted elsewhere.
- Along with the list of deleted tracks, were deleted ISOs and Roms of both Mario Kart 7 & Mario Kart Wii. It should atleast be considered that their filter perhaps mistook Custom Tracks or in game data, seeing that dozens of downloads are still up like these: DS Waluigi Pinball, Cloud Carpet, 3DS Piranha Plant Slide, Codename: BIGBOX, Magma Island (And the list goes on)
- BigOto's MediaFire account was suspended completely suspended, likewise most others who had multiple deleted files. The reason: The filter most like caught a certain file and thought it was an ISO. After then examining the the the account it found multiple files which shared similar data, which a stupid filter would flag as bits of the ISO thus leading to suspension.
- Certain custom tracks were taken down for allegedly being a direct file from the game itself, which only brings the filter further to the conclusion that it had made mistake. Most likely the filer had searched for a long string of data. For example, it may have searched for the data from Mario Circuit. Since this filter was probably programmed to think that the ISO or files may have been split up, it would search for all objects in Mario Cicuit, which flagged the track Volcanic Skyway V4 for containing the objects "Castleballoon > Itembox > Castletree".
- Wouldn't you think think that out of all tracks, Magma Island would have been deleted? Not only is it literally named "volcano_course.szs", but it is un compressed in a zip archive, and is simply Grumble Volcano with a re arranged KMP! (And new model, of course)
- The email anyone received that they believe was "Directly from Nintendo" was not. Examine closer, Nintendo@Kapow.com, not Kapow@Nintendo.com (Although some people have claimed to receive some from "@NOA", which further strengthens the idea of a confused partnership). Just look, the system and/or the person who sent that email obviously doesn't understand how to edit models in BrawlBox, much less even play a custom track. Their filter flagged a track as a piece of the game, send email, done.
- It is improbable that they directly searched any YouTube videos or the Wiki itself. All they would have had to do here is search "MediaFire" and suspend all.
- Lastly, we do not know that Nintendo is directly involved. With MegaUpload's demise, most file sharing Websites have either shut down public sharing or have taken extra precautions to not go the same way. Ever considered that they perhaps have a list of un wanted files so they then contacted Nintendo to get their support? I hightly doubt only Mario kart was effected, as they most likely emailed you about the deleted files within the category your violation was in.
- With the WiiU coming up, 1000s of other hacking communities existing, and millions of dollars to be made, why would Nintendo even give a care about us? Just on small hacking community in the large pool of Brawl-Zelda-Galaxy-64-DS hackers? No. I'm pretty sure that if Nintendo even cared we would have heard from them a lot sooner, and the CTWW would have been disabled by them not allowing external regional races. I recall an overreaction by me when the whole SOPA thing was pending, and this is no less. Obliviously FBI agents aren't going to pull up to your front door and take you away to prison for piracy. Itembox.brres is impossible to use really with a KCL, Model, & KMP, with the addition of a copy of Mario Kart Wii and a Wii. So what on earth could somebody use Itembox.brres without a Wii? "OOh, Distribute over the internet and make millions of dollars!" (No). Obviously we have not received any auto updates, patches, or anything else to prevent us from what we're doing now. Nintendo has moved on from the Wii, seeing that they're letting the hacking scene grow even larger and now that Wiis are no longer manufactured, with the addition of the 3DS, WiiU, and other possible future consoles. No other File sharing website has been effected, no other websites have been harmed. In comparison to murder or theft, distributing Itembox.brres or other related files within an archive full of your own creations that require the purchase of Nintendo products to operate legally is relatively small. It is indeed a law, but nothing Nintendo seems to care about anything that could potentially harm Nintendo because you can't re construct a whole ISO from several custom tracks. And if one choose to use these files with an illegal copy of Mario Kart Wii, then that's where the threatening problem is, --SuperMario64DS 19:32, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
- My (Wiimms) Story:
- My old track directory contains 52 tracks. Mediafire warns me about 5 tracks. I "dismiss"ed all and made immediately the complete track directory "private". All 52 tracks are still available. No more notice of Mediafire.
- Today I have uploaded 61 tracks in the new patch file format. No reaction until now.
- Wiimm 21:22, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
- My Mediafire account was suspended as well. None of my CT links work anymore. --Digital Monster, Guilmon35249vr 17:00, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
- 4TLPatis Story
- Well, I (4TLPati) got problems now too. I just got an E-Mail from Mediafire and they deleted my patch files for the two ripped tournaments. The weird thing is that the files weren't even .szs files, just .exe files.
- 4TLPati 1.52 pm, February 12th 2013
THIS SITE GLITCHES
For my character kart wii, it has 2 downloads. however, there is only 1 download PLACE for 1 LINK. The second one doesn't show AT ALL. Even when I put it in the same box, The names glitch. and since 1 is 4shared, unclickable text saying "[4shared.com]" appears and unless I remove the link WILL NOT LEAVE PERIOD!!!!!!! Seriously...?
can ANYONE help me? *I just got the szs modifier.* 11:16, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
Almost no one used the second link for mirrors, so I removed it from the misc info template. Because of that nothing displays in the Download 2 field. Instead post your mirror elsewhere in the article. ALSO POSTING IN CAPS AND USING EXCESSIVE PUNCTUATION MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!--Jefe 22:54, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
Tutorial Page Help..
Can someone help me Make a page on the tutorials section? what do i do? do i create a new page like it if were a new character hack? I want to make a tutorial on how to model hack the Vehicles of mario kart wii characters it is very simple.. --Unsigned post by Mikeypr98
- Make a new page and add your tutorial to it. If needed, others can add info and fix it up if it's not up to standards, but at least the tutorial will be there. --Digital Monster, Guilmon35249vr 17:03, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
- I plan to install this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TitleBlacklist
- Discussion needed? Alternatives?
- Wiimm (talk) 10:33, 25 April 2013 (UTC)