Hide and Seek
|Date of latest version:||2021-04-11|
|Discord server:||MKW Hide and Seek|
Hide and Seek is a custom game mode created by CLF78, following ideas by marionose1 and TWD98. In every match, a player (or two), designated as "seeker(s)" will have to locate and hit all the other players ("hiders") in a set time limit. If they fail to catch all players, they will lose the game.
The host of the room will be able to toggle a few options:
- Double Seeker: Increases the amount of seekers to two.
- Infection Mode: Hiders that get hit will become seekers as well.
- Halved Timer: The time limit is set to five minutes rather than 10 minutes.
- Host Always Seeker: Always chooses the first (and eventually second) player in the room as the seekers.
- Battle Glitch: When enabled, the view of character tags are extended outside of Battle Mode for all players (including seekers).
- Host Always Wins Vote: The host will always win the track vote.
A typical game goes as follows:
- When the match starts, the hiders have 30 seconds to leave the starting area. During that timeframe, the seeker(s) will not be able to move or see any hider.
- Once the 30 seconds are up, the timer starts counting down, and the seeker(s) will receive an infinite Star effect automatically.
- To make things more balanced, the seeker(s) are still affected by off-road, while respawn points are instant to avoid overusing them.
- Item boxes only yield Mushrooms and Triple Mushrooms (with a chance of 90% and 10% respectively), while leaf piles, wooden boxes and Goombas will not give any item at all.
- The seeker(s) will be marked in red, while hiders will be marked in blue. The former will not see any player tag, unless Battle Glitch is enabled.
- Hiders can drive through each other. This is to allow multiple players to hide in the same spot and to prevent trolling.
- The seeker(s) will not be able to hear the hiders' character or vehicle. This is also to prevent trolling.
- Hiders that get hit will disappear and switch to Spectator Mode until the match ends (unless Infection Mode is enabled).
- The "Remaining" counter shows how many hiders are still at large, and is updated in real time.
- If the timer reaches zero, the "Remaining" counter reaches zero or all seekers leave, the match will end.
The point system works as follows:
- If the seeker(s) catch all hiders, they will get 15 points; otherwise, they will get one point per hider caught (collectively).
- If the hiders survive the entire match, they will get 15 points; otherwise, they will get one point per minute survived (30 seconds if Halved Timer is enabled), starting from one.
- Infected seekers are counted as dead hiders.
- marionose1, for the idea and funding.
- Ismy, for the Remaining Players counter graphic and testing.
- Lore and Slime, for testing.
- _tZ, for his code loader.
- Seeky and stebler, for their extensive documentation of the game's structures.
- All the other code creators mentioned in the tables below.
|Automatic BRSAR Patching||Elias_||The revo_kart.brsar file will now be automatically patched to prevent music from cutting off mid-race.|
|Custom Points System||CLF78||Uses a different method for assigning points to each player.|
|Custom Server Support||Wiimm, Leseratte||Support to play on Wiimmfi has been added as a replacement to Nintendo WFC.|
|Disable Star Power Music||Anarion||Prevents the Star jingle from playing if the player is a seeker.|
|End Race on Command||CLF78||Ends the match prematurely if all hiders get caught or all seekers leave.|
|Enable Battle Effects||CLF78, tZ||Enables the sound effects and timer flash from Battle Mode.|
|Force 150cc Online||XeR||Forces 150cc to be used by the game.|
|Friend Room Race Count Modifier||MrBean35000vr||Changes the amount of VS races in friend rooms to two.|
|GeoHit Patcher||CLF78||Patches GeoHitTableKart.bin on the fly to prevent hiders from being killed by some obstacles.|
|Go To Friends Menu Automatically||Chadderz||Restricts the online portion of the game to the Friends menu.|
|Increase Visual Distance||davidevgen||Doubles the draw distance of objects to allow players to spot others from further away.|
|Infinite Star Effect||CLF78||Gives each seeker infinite Star Power after 30 seconds and automatically restores it if the seekers fall off the track.|
|Instant Respawn||davidevgen||Makes respawn points instant to prevent abuse.|
|Mushroom Only Item Boxes||CLF78, Vega||Item boxes only give Mushrooms (90%) and Triple Mushrooms (10%). Leaf piles, wooden boxes and Goombas do not give any item at all.|
|Mute Characters||Melg||Mutes every hider's character and vehicle to prevent trolling.|
|No Clip||Melg||Hiders can drive through each other to allow them to hide in the same spot and to prevent trolling.|
|No Disconnect||BullyWiiPlaza||Prevents players from disconnecting by sitting in the same spot for prolonged amounts of time.|
|Remaining Players Counter||CLF78, Ismy||The remaining players counter shows how many hiders are left in the game.|
|Reversed Timer||CLF78, BullyWiiPlaza||The timer starts at 30 seconds and counts down until zero, then resets to 10 minutes, then goes back down to zero.|
|Seeker Picker||CLF78||The game chooses a random player between the ones in the lobby to be the seeker and gives them a red line. There is an anti-repick mechanism to prevent a player from being seeker twice in a row.|
|Selective Remove HUD||CLF78, stebler||Removes the lap count, the minimap and the position from the HUD.|
|Spectator Mode||tZ, Skullface, CLF78|| If a hider gets hit, they will switch to Spectator Mode, where you can keep watching the game from a different player's perspective. The controls are as follows (there are two buttons, one to go back and one to go forth):
|Temporary Invisibility||CLF78||Makes all hiders invisible to the seeker(s) for the first 30 seconds.|
|Time Limit Modifier||CLF78||The five minute time limit has been extended to 10 minutes to accommodate for the longer races. The 5:56 disconnection has also been removed.|
|Room Message Handler||CLF78||Allows the host to enable flags through room messages.|
|Always Seeker||CLF78||The host and the second player in the room will always be seeker(s). This can be enabled by the host.|
|Always Win Track Vote||Star||The host always wins the track vote. This can be enabled by the host.|
|Battle Glitch||CLF78||The tag distance is increased. This can be enabled by the host.|
|Double Seeker||CLF78||The amount of initial seekers is two. This can be enabled by the host.|
|Halved Timer||CLF78||The time limit is reduced to five minutes, and hiders gain one point every 30 seconds. This option can be enabled by the host.|
|Infection Mode||CLF78||If a hider is hit, they will turn into a seeker as well.|
|My Stuff Folder||—||Allows users to replace certain files with their own, allowing for custom textures, among other things. You can choose between the CTGP and the HNS folder, and you can also choose to replace music only or everything.|
|No Background Music||CosmoCortney||Mutes all .brstm audio. This feature can be enabled/disabled at will in Riivolution.|
|Version||Date of release||Information|
Sometimes players will not disappear despite being hit. This is caused by lag.